Lemonade Life

Friday, July 15, 2005

I'm 100! Anyone wanna give me a dollar?

When I was growing up, whenever my blood sugar hit the reading of "100,"my father would give me a dollar. It was very exciting. I always tried to convince him to give me two dollars for a "200" but I was never successful. He's stopped doing it now that I've moved out of the house, so I try to get other people to do it but to no avail.

So what do I do when I'm frustrated with lows, highs, finger pricking and am-I-going-to-lose-my-kidney fears?

I label postcards.

This afternoon, just before heading to Trader Joe's to buy groceries, I stopped by the American Diabetes Association. Cindy, the area manager, asked me if I wanted to help label postcards for an educational event at a Cold Stone's Ice Creamery in Roseburg, OR. I spent about an hour labeling postcards and chit-chatting about the newest National Youth Advocate and religion. Not that those two have anything to do with each other....

Anyway, I enjoy being able to take out my frustrations on having diabetes by being able to help an organization dedicated to eradicating my fears. It's very empowering to be apart of the solution, not just bemoaning the problem.

'Til next time, signing out.

5 Comments:

At July 17, 2005 1:59 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi There,
Saw you out on Diabetestalkfest.com and wanted to check out your blog. Thanks for sharing your thoughts, will be back to keep reading! :)
Newdonna

 
At July 18, 2005 11:53 AM , Blogger Kerri. said...

Hi there. I grabbed your link from Amy's site. Welcome to the Online Community. I like your blatantly honest style. Keep writing!

Come by and visit my blog if you want: sixuntilme.blogspot.com.

Kerri.

 
At July 19, 2005 7:51 AM , Blogger Sandra Miller said...

Welcome to the blogging community! Just saw a link to your site over at Amy's blog.

My almost 10 year-old son was diagnosed last August, and is showing all signs of becoming a teen before long. I imagine the diabetes has probably accelerated the whole move from child to mature young man...

Anyhow, I like the perspective you share here-- gives me some insight into my son's future. And your humor really really helps.

Please keep writing. I'll be reading (and will link your blog to mine this morning).

Take care,
Sandra

 
At July 19, 2005 12:16 PM , Blogger Shannon said...

Hi,

I'm one of those thirtysomething women with a family, but my son is diabetic.

Let's hope that other people your age with diabetes start blogging.

For now you'll be getting comments from us 30+ fogies :)

 
At July 19, 2005 3:17 PM , Blogger Martha O'Connor said...

Welcome to the blogging world, Allison. I found you via Amy. Like Sandra and Shannon, my son has Type 1 Diabetes. We recently marked one year with the disease; he's 8 now. Come visit if you'd like: My Blog about Diabetes and Writing

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home