Lemonade Life

Sunday, November 13, 2005

Help Me Decide My Future

That's a pretty heavy request, huh?

On Wednesday, I will register for Winter term classes. So far, I have these three lined up as fairly for-sure classes that I will be taking:
- PR Writing (for my journalism major- it's required)
- Resource Development for Non-Profit Organizations (which is a fancy way of saying "fundraising" - it's required for my Non-Profit minor)
- Sociology of Religion (for my potential Religious Studies major/minor, depending on how many classes I can get through in the next 5 terms)

Now. Here is the important, crucial, life-altering decision that I must make.

Do I want to fulfill my science requirement and take Astronomy 121 (The Solar System) or do I want to take the not-required, non-essential but uber-interesting English 199 (Special Study: JRR Tolkein)? The classes are at the exact same time. You see my conundrum?

Now, theoretically, I might be able to take Astronomy another term, but there's no guarentee it will fit as nicely into my schedule. But we're talking about Tolkein. Middle Earth. Hobbits. But taking the class will do absolutely nothing to help me graduate. It won't even give me upper division credits. And it would force me to take a class on Friday (with Astronomy, I would have Friday off).

To further aid your decision making process, here are the course summaries:
ENG 199: This course examines the Middle-Earth novels and major scholarly essays of J. R. R. Tolkien. Primarily it asks, what is the relationship between Tolkien’s Middle-Earth fantasy and his profession as a 20th century philologist? In this class students will examine Tolkien’s writing not only as a reflection of its biographical and historical origins, but also as a critique of modern culture. Focusing on close reading and occasionally turning to the films for comparison, we will analyze how the texts situate war, religion, race, gender, technology and ecology, history, aesthetics, ethics, and language.

ASTR 121: Astronomy 121 is an introduction to the Solar System in which we examine how our knowledge base and thinking about the Solar System (and Solar System physics) have evolved over the years.

This is where you come in. I'm taking a vote.

Astronomy or Frodo?

Speak now or forever hold your peace.

(Disclaimer: I am under no obligation to follow through on anyone's opinions. This is merely for educational purposes.)

10 Comments:

At November 13, 2005 2:39 PM , Blogger Kassie said...

I vote astronomy. Why? I think you have the reading/writing thing down pretty well, and you can always read Tolkien. But a guided look at the stars? That could be a really nice change of pace!

This is, of course, feedback from an English major who never took a single course in Shakespeare.

 
At November 13, 2005 5:06 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Astronomy. I took it myself when I did my undergraduate degree (wow, that sounds nice), adn it was one of the better non-major courses I took.

It's also something that will stay with you and you'll think about every time you look up, especially when you are in a rural area and can actually see the stars.

 
At November 13, 2005 5:18 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Astronomy all the way you can really find use for a day every week with no classes. especially a friday.

 
At November 13, 2005 6:44 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Astronomy for sure.
That isn't because I love science and really don't care for english classes either. Ok, maybe part of it is, but, although you could learn about either of those on your own outside of class, I think it would be cooler/better to have astronomy guided.

I would have taken astronomy, but it didn't count for me, and it never really fit my schedule when I had room for extras.

 
At November 14, 2005 4:34 PM , Blogger Bryan said...

im sure there is plenty of info about what that english class teaches on the internet.

 
At November 14, 2005 6:06 PM , Blogger Sandra Miller said...

At the risk of sounding like a lemming here, I'm goin' with Astronomy.

Looking up at the night sky, and being able to pull out the constellations is a truly wonderful thing...

And having Fridays off, well, that's a truly wonderful thing too. :)

 
At November 14, 2005 8:19 PM , Blogger Vivian said...

Let your heart lead you to where you are destined to be. That is how you find your bliss.

 
At November 15, 2005 2:10 AM , Blogger Johnboy said...

I'm sorry, Alison, but I don't want to influence your decision about this at all! It looks like there is a clear pattern in the responses, but in the end, you will have to decide what is best for you. Good luck!!!

 
At November 15, 2005 11:37 AM , Blogger Kerri. said...

I can't help it -- I would take the Tolkien class. I hate the be the one dissenting opinion, but when it comes to stars or hobbits, I'm right there in the Shire.

Surprise us all and take organic chemistry.

 
At November 17, 2005 6:21 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

ALLISONNNNNNNNN, how could you take astronomy ughh!!! I am obssessed with middle earth so I am with Kerri on this one! Sorry! you already made your choice anyway haha

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home