Lemonade Life

Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Motivation

(I would like to state for the record that the reason this blog post is late in going up is not because I didn't write it on time, it's because the g*d-d**n-f***ing Blogger wouldn't post last night! Sigh.)

Have you ever looked at the day, or the week, or the month or maybe your whole life and wondered exactly what all your time was spent doing?

That's how I feel lately.

I spend all this time at work. I spend all this time at school. I spend all this time at home. And yet, I don't really feel like I've done a heck of a whole lot lately. I haven't really written anything in several weeks. I haven't read a book in months. It takes me ages to send off interview questions these days. I haven't been to the gym since the summer.

I have no idea what I do anymore. I mean, I know the little things I do. But they all seem little.

I update the O.C. with a couple new blogs. Check.

I answer an email about work. Check.

I test my blood sugar. Check, check, check, check and check.

I chat with friends online. Check.

I write a press release or some random in-class assignment that has no bearing whatsoever on anything. Check.

I read blogs. A lot. Check a dozen times.

I'm really not sure if I'm asking a question or if I'm simply venting about a fleeting life. I just feel like I'm doing a lot of busywork with school and my internship and spending two hours everyday in a car. I don't know how to motivate myself to be more productive. To finally stop saying "I should clean my room" or "I should write that article" or "I should do this or that."

It's really my own fault, I guess. But I suppose it's like a lot of things in our lives. We see it. We know it. We acknowledge it. And then we turn around and pretend it doesn't exist, even when it's standing right next to us, tapping its foot and clearing its throat.

5 Comments:

At November 16, 2006 1:43 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think we all get to that place and sometimes need to go thru one of these valleys.

From where I stand, I see all that you do and I cannot figure out what the heck I am doing! You are quite an inspiration but I totally respect where you are coming from.

We always see ourselves differently.

 
At November 16, 2006 7:23 PM , Blogger Kevin said...

I used to never be a "list person."

Unfortunately, now I am.

That last paragraph sounds like my house projects. We make lists to "prioritize" them, but then we promptly lose our list!

And we still don't have a new fence. Go figure!

From one of my all-time favorite movies: "Life moves pretty fast sometimes, if you don't stop and look around once in a while you could miss it."

Remember to play hooky once in a while.

 
At November 16, 2006 9:16 PM , Blogger Scott K. Johnson said...

This is going to sound pretty lame compared to those all-stars George and Kevin - but have you ever listened to an audio book in the car?

I'm seriously hooked on them, and have been for about three years now. Sometimes I will listen to something constructive and "self-help" like, but most of the time I just like to escape into some fiction book.

It helps me get some value from those "hard to value" transit times, you know?

 
At November 16, 2006 9:51 PM , Blogger Allison said...

George: I totally know what you mean. I've talked to people I admire and respect, asking how they do all the amazing things they do and they just stare at me going, "What kind of crack are you on?"

Kevin: Excellent movie, if I may say. And very good advice.

Scott: You could never be lame! That's an excellent suggestion, I may just take you up on that. Certainly would be station-flipping. Why can't radio stations actually play music?

 
At November 16, 2006 9:53 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can relate all too well. Once again.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home