Lemonade Life

Sunday, October 29, 2006

Lessons Learned (again)

Lessons I learned (yet again) this weekend:

Lesson #1: Try to leave some bumper time between when you need to arrive and when you actually will arrive. That way when it takes you forty-seven minutes to drive six miles, you don't have to cancel lunch plans with a friend you haven't seen in a month and a half.

Lesson #2: Bringing a blood glucose meter is important no matter how long you plan to be away from your house. It's especially important if you plan to be away from your house for 48 hours. (Luckily I had my Ultra in my purse from awhile ago, so I stopped by Albertsons to buy 25 test strips for $26.99). And in the process of learning this lesson, I learned:

Lesson #3: Do not lock your keys in your car. Always check to make sure they are in your purse and not: on the seat, in the ignition, lying on the floor.

Lesson #4: Roadside assistance is worth the money.

Lesson #5: Don't wait six months to drive to your old house, ask a nice girl to let you inside to pick up your ballot and then get spooked when you hear footsteps, run outside and then realize you've left your keys on the table, which is inside the now locked house.

Lesson #6: Make sure that when you sleep, your pump is near your infusion set (unless you have a massively long pump cord). That way you won't wake up at 7:45 a.m. with the pump cord wrapped around your neck, the infusion set is ripped halfway off your stomach and your blood sugar is at 408 mg/dl.

Lesson #7: Don't think that by pressing really hard on the halfway-off infusion set that you can somehow magically get the cannula back into your skin. It won't work and you'll wake up four hours later at 446 mg/dl.

Lesson #8: Always pack an extra infusion set. In the event you do wake up with your pump trying to choke you and nauseatingly high blood sugars, you can do something besides immediately get dressed and drive two hours back home to put in a new one.

Don't worry, I didn't actually drive on a rising 446 mg/dl. I also - for whatever reason - had a bottle of insulin in my purse, along with a very much used syringe (what do you think I was using to poke my finger all day?).

And just in case there was any doubt, these lessons prove that I have indeed two chronic diseases: diabetes and absentmindedness.

7 Comments:

At October 30, 2006 7:54 AM , Blogger Kevin said...

That sounds rough.
And I seriously hope you were joking about using a syringe as a lancet device! I've never hear of that before!

 
At October 30, 2006 12:00 PM , Blogger Allison said...

Oh, Kevin.

How I wish I was joking...

Trust me, using a syringe is much better than unhooking my pump and using that little needle at the end of the pump cord. That's one is a bit tricksy to get to.

But it can be done. I suppose I can chalk this up to my "creative nature."

 
At October 30, 2006 6:16 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Allison and Kevin
Before I was pumping I always used my syringes for lancets-for years they were much sharper than the lancets and worked great. I now stock up on lancets because I so infrequently use a syringe. In fact not once since pumping in the last 3 years. I also need to be better about supplies, 35 years after becoming diabetic it is easy to become relaxed about it. I have tried to be better the last few years. I do not worry about pump supplies just keep insulin and syringes on hand for emergencies. Sorry for you nightmare experience.Lisa.

 
At October 30, 2006 10:52 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

OMGooses! I cannot get past using the syringe for a lancet device! I believe you but seriously, I don't think I could ever do that!

You are the most resourceful person I know! You are like the MacGuyver of the D.

Allison MacGuyver! You need some duct tape to keep with you!

 
At October 31, 2006 6:47 AM , Blogger Allison said...

It really isn't that complicated to use. Certainly not as archaic as using a sewing needle or some such poking device.

Maybe that should be my next top 10 list: top 10 ways to use everyday household products in your diabetes management.

 
At October 31, 2006 8:52 PM , Blogger bethany said...

i once took my name tag off @ work and used the pin that was used to connect it to my shirt as a lancet ... i had no choice - one guy was so disgusted he wouldn't even look at me the rest of the day and another boy ran and came back with a lighter and was like, "please atleast steralize it first" haha ... you do whatever you have to right <3

 
At November 02, 2006 7:52 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bethany
Your co-workers are clueless-you are right everyone improvises-diabetic or not.The recent "medical" view is that our current aversion to germs is causing more problems than help... but everyone has their tolerance level. Lisa

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home