Lemonade Life

Thursday, November 02, 2006

You can NaBloPoMo me anytime you want...

What do you mean I've lost it? I never had it to begin with!

I have indeed signed up to participate in this year's National Blog Posting Month, where I will post Every. Single. Day. My life really isn't that fascinating, so even I'm curious how I'm going to keep this thing up.

Today's story involves me, the mall and the elusive Perfect Black Pants (with Pockets).

You see, since I've officially become a twenty-something (oh dear God...) and started interning in an office environment (first JDRF and now PGE), I have been forced to become an unwitting participant in finding a Second Wardrobe. One wardrobe full of jeans, graphic tees and hoodies are no longer suitable for the corporate world. I must adopt a second wardrobe full of black slacks, tweed, collard button-down shirts, suit jackets and cardigan sets.

It's strange enough to pay taxes and legally able to buy a drink, but now they want me to look old(er) too?

Most women love to shop. I love to shop. I have no qualms with shopping. But I'm not used to buying these clothes, and I'm having a heck of a time finding anything that 1) looks good 2) is something I can actually wear in an office and/or 3) is affordable!

Now, my little gig with Diabetes Teen Talk/dLife does afford me a more relaxed lifestyle than some of my college colleagues, but still, I don't make that much money and certainly not enough to go shopping at Anne Taylor on a regular basis for all my cardigan and tweed needs (sorry Kerri).

I have a pretty decent collection of long-sleeved shirts. Between shirts I already own and the ones I've just bought, I think I can manage about a week and half before I have to rotate back in. Which isn't bad, considering most of these are brand-new clothes. The pants, however, were a nightmare.

As you might now, I like to wear my pump on the outside. I don't like to keep in my bra because you can see the outline in almost every shirt I own. I don't own a band to put it around my thigh (and even then, that would only work if I was wearing a skirt and I'm talking about buying pants). I don't like to clip it to my waistband because the clip digs into my skin. It really only leaves the option of wearing it in the pocket.

But no one sells black pants with pockets!

Okay, a few people do. But they either 1) don't come in my size 2) look weird or 3) cost too much. Oh, and I hate those pants that look like they have pockets but then you try to stick your hand in and all you get is a seam! Sneaky little bastards.

Anyway. I have been trying to find a good pair of black pants that I can fit and afford all week. I hope I can find one soon. I plan on scouring the mall this weekend and trying on every single pair of black pants I find.

The whole Second Wardrobe is a bit ridiculous. I'm making all this money from having two jobs, and yet I keep spending it on clothes so I have something to wear when I make the money.

I need some suggestions from the ladies. Put yourself in my shoes for a second. You're 21 years old, you have a pretty empty closet when it comes to work clothes (I've got the brown and gray pants, three or four office-appropriate long-sleeved shirts, and a new peacoat jacket from the Gap), and you have a limited budget.

Where do you go shopping?

What do I need to buy?

What should I avoid?

And how on earth can you wear heels for nine hours straight?

7 Comments:

At November 02, 2006 10:41 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well even in my college classes as a FRESHMAN I'm having problems with clothes. One of my teachers, who is only 22, insists we dress up for our speeches. I come wearing black/gray dress capris, black shoes, a green lacey top, and a jacket, and I get 16 points taken off (out of 100) for "innappropriate dress". 90% of the girls were stuff like this too. Dress clothes have always confused me...I don't quite get them.
-Jenny from the so cal which you hate;)

 
At November 05, 2006 5:53 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I shop at JC penney and SOMETIMES I sneak in eddie bauer for colored khakis. Seriously, though, try JC penney for work slacks. I have been doing the work slack thing for much too long, in fact, I have more work slacks than jeans now....(sigh) and I bought ALL of them at JC Penney and Eddie Bauer....Just my two cents! You might try Kohl's too, but their sales aren't near the same as JC Penney....and shop the misses AND juniors department

 
At November 05, 2006 8:46 PM , Blogger If not a mother... said...

Target, Old Navy, Eddie Bauer.

Long skirts are my passion, ever since I discovered short girls CAN wear them. I need to get knee-high boots, though.

 
At November 05, 2006 9:06 PM , Blogger Allison said...

Okay, I'll definitely have to take a look at Eddie Bauer now. I have browsed there before, but I bought a sweater for my mom there for her birthday, so I don't know if that might be a little too... I don't want to say old... but just not necessarily in my age-range.

Sarah, my dad is always telling me to go to Kohl's and how wonderful it is. I guess I will just have to go!

 
At November 06, 2006 7:55 PM , Blogger bethany said...

I think that I could live @ Kohl's. I think I spent almost 2 hours in there on Saturday. It's always inexpensive (especially the jr's section) and they have really cute dressy clothes. <3 good luck@

 
At November 06, 2006 8:11 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Allison, looking old is kind of a given in business professional wardrobes....Just trust your fabulous skin tone to keep you young :)

 
At November 06, 2006 8:25 PM , Blogger Allison said...

Alright, well, Bethany sealed the deal. Kohl's it is!

And thank you, Sarah, that's very nice of you to say. But sometimes I think those blemishes make me a look a little too young...

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home