Lemonade Life

Thursday, December 22, 2005

My Childhood

Fifteen years ago, the tradition began.

It started out simply enough. A group of children, gathering around the dining room table covered with candy and neon-colored frosting. Fingers sticky with adhering M & M and Skittle borders, candy cane gates, the ice cream cone Christmas Tree. Giggling, munching.

It grew as we grew up. Over 50 of us gather in my best friend Kayce's home now. Circling around the dining room table and the counter in the back room. Bowls of M & Ms and Skittles a plenty, now accompanied by gummy bears and Hershey's Kisses and Rolos galore. We've tried powdered sugar Christmas trees (covered with green frosting). Lifesaver wreaths. And, yes, a licorice Star of David (fixed above a blue front door).

Diabetes... pshh. Never let diabetes get in the away of a childhood or a childhood relived. Besides, I think I finally caught on - landed at 176.

But it isn't just about food. It's about Imagination. Laughing uncontrollably. Singing along to cheesy Christmas music. Posing for photos. Being a Child. Always and forever.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
....Mmmmm, tasty.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
....Pumps at the ready.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
....The finished product.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
....The one time of the year where it's okay to play with your food.

Fifteen years and still going strong. When my college friends ask me what I'm doing for Christmas, I tell them, "Making candy houses." It is an Icon of my childhood.


Image hosted by Photobucket.com

3 Comments:

At December 23, 2005 6:28 AM , Blogger Shannon said...

Awesome tradition.

Brendon had a school project on Monday to make a tiny house out of graham crackers, icing and various candies and cereal.

He was out that day because he had an endo appointment, but I didn't want him missing out on the fun, so I asked the teachers if he could do it at home. He came home the following Tuesday with bags of candy and a whole container of icing.

He had a blast building the house with my mom.

I have a gingerbread train kit waiting for my kids to build.

 
At December 23, 2005 8:04 PM , Blogger Shannon said...

Hi Allison,

My email address is shannonbgb@yahoo.com

 
At December 26, 2006 10:35 PM , Blogger George said...

That looking like so much fun! I am glad you had a merry christmas Allison.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home