Lemonade Life

Thursday, December 14, 2006

Little Notes from the Past Week

It's been a week since I've posted, which I suppose is a nice respit from the 30-day marathon of posting from November.

I spent my weekend in Seattle, Washington. We drove up Saturday afternoon and stayed in a hostel downtown. We had dinner in the Queen Anne District, watched The Holiday downtown, and had drinks and cheesecake at The Cheesecake Factory. Since I had used up my glucose tablets within the first hour of being in Seattle, Annie and I searched for an open pharmacy so I could buy a soda (both Rite-Aid and Walgreens close at 10, bastards), so I ended up carrying home a plastic cup of Pepsi from the Cheesecake Factory. Which, after half a slice of cheesecake, three slices of bread and a Long Island Iced Tea, I certainly didn't need...

On Sunday we visited a flea market in the Fremont District and had our morning coffee at the only Peet's in Seattle. We visited the dinosaurs and tropical butterflies exhibit before viewing the Dead Sea Scrolls at the Pacific Science Center. It was fabulous and so exciting to be in the same room with them. Unfortunately, because they are so old and fragile, the room was completely dark and the scrolls were timed to light up at thirty-second intervals. Not that it mattered, considering you couldn't read them. Unless you speak Ancient Hebrew. We had dinner at Sky City, the revolving restaurant on the Space Needle. It was a great restaurant, except they didn't cook my salmon (which I was getting to avoid the raw Ahi tuna). Our poor waiter felt so bad that not only did he not charge me for dinner, he also brought out chocolate covered strawberries for Annie and Carissa to eat while I finished dinner. Then we got a sundae dish that was sitting in container of dry ice, so we had that Halloween mist covering our table. Some ice cream accidentally fell inside, so it began bubbling and gurgling and we had the hardest time controlling our laughter. Even the couple sitting across from us were laughing!

On Monday we visited Pike Place Market to do some Christmas shopping and took the ferry across Pudget Sound to visit some friends of Annie's. Then we came home!

Other Things to Note:

  • As Scott so graciously pointed out, I am indeed in the JDRF quarterly magazine, Countdown. Again. This is my second appearance this year, and my fourth or fifth total. And yet I've never graced the cover. I'm going to have to work on that...
  • A direct link to my column on growing up with diabetes that was published in Tweens and Teens magazine, a local NYC-based magazine, in November has also been posted. Now you too can read, Just a Little Different, the most condensed explanation of diabetes I've ever written.
  • I received my copy of Cheating Destiny today! This is the fourth diabetes book I have received. It's one of my favorite things about being me. Free stuff. But I am ridiculously bad at actually doing anything with them. However, this time instead of reviewing the book, I am going to be interviewing James Hirsch for Diabetes Teen Talk. Look for that in the sometime-soon future.
  • The first round of Christmas cards were sent out today! More Christmas cards will be sent out tomorrow...

We are having a crazy storm right now so I should probably log off before wind does it for me!

1 Comments:

At December 15, 2006 9:40 AM , Blogger Scott K. Johnson said...

I was just too excited when I spotted your face in the magazine! I had to get a quick post up to let everyone else know!

Way cool!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home