Lemonade Life

Thursday, June 28, 2007

Because I Like to Make Your Life Difficult

In addition to the challenges of finding a car and finding an apartment, acclimating to humidity and suffering through New Jersey freeways, I have also dealt with the pain-in-the-ass-ness that is Yahoo! Web Hosting.

A few weeks ago I decided to switch to Wordpress. I thought it would be easy. I have a domain, I'll just get Wordpress to forward it like Blogger does.

Wordpress doesn't forward. It wants the URL to forward to Wordpress.

So that's what I attempted to do.

In fact, in the process of attempting to get Yahoo to forward to Wordpress, I managed to permanently sever the link between Yahoo and Blogger, which is why Lemonade Life suddenly reverted back to the blogspot.com address.

Except, the Yahoo service that I chose doesn't allow domain forwarding, although it's one of the most basic things you can do. Instead, I had to switch service plans.

Which I have been attempting to do for the last week.

Each time I attempt to do it, I get a technical error. It tells me to call customer service, but I'm at work and busy and don't have time. Meanwhile, it has charged me nine times for an order it claims to have canceled.

Ridiculous!

So I give up.

I have gone to GoDaddy.com and ordered a brand-spanking-new URL that is still Lemonade Life related so hopefully it won't be too hard to remember.

It's: www dot lemonade dash life dot com.

Or: www.lemonade-life.com.

Or: www.lemonlemonade.wordpress.com
.

All will work.

I am sorry to make everyone change their links again, but I am fed up with Yahoo and it's crappy service. Besides, GoDaddy is vastly cheaper than the service I currently have, which as a starving entry-level workerbee, I desperately, desperately need.

Apologies again but, uh, deal.

3 Comments:

At June 28, 2007 12:05 PM , Blogger Scott S said...

To add unnecessary complexity to the problem, you could have just transferred the registration from godaddy.com to yahoo domanins, as they (yahoo domains) offer the ability to forward domains that are registered with them to another site. I also like yahoo's ability to hide the location of the registered owner. I'm sure others, including godaddy do this, I'm just not all that adept at handling all this stuff! Regardless, just let us know what the new domain will actually be, and then make a final posting on your old blog referring people to the new location.

 
At June 28, 2007 12:08 PM , Blogger Allison said...

Scott,

I wasn't a part of Yahoo Domains. I was in Yahoo Web Hosting, which apparently offers completely different services. My "switch in plan" was to switch to Yahoo Domains, but it never let me because of "technical difficulties." So that wouldn't have worked either! Ah well...

 
At June 29, 2007 11:02 AM , Blogger Chrissie in Belgium said...

Computers! I have a love/hate relationship with them! I hope thing go better for you soon!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home