Lemonade Life

Monday, February 13, 2006

Because Seven Is A Darn Cool Number

1. Today was my first official day at the UO's Annual Giving Program. My job is to call total strangers and ask them for money. What is it with me and asking strangers for money? Girl Scout Cookies, JDRF's Walk for a Cure, and now this. It's a good thing I'm taking my "Resource Development for Non-Profits" class. Teaching me how to weasle money out of your pockets. Good life skills.

2. I hate exercise! I hate doing it. I hate what it does to my blood sugars. I wish I was still in ballet class. I never had this kind of problem with my blood sugars in ballet. I was a pretty little ballerina and I rocked. Going to the gym makes me feel like a failure. It SUCKS!

3. I get to go to Portland this weekend. Woohoo! Another wonderful weekend OUT and AWAY from Eugene. I'm really starting to hate this place. Which is bad because my job is to sell the school so you will give us money. But I really hate living in Eugene. You have to be 21 to do anything fun. The rest of us get stuck going to the $1.50 movie theater (because saying the Dollar Theater would have just made too much sense) and having late-night breakfasts at IHOP. Which is cool in theory, but in practice, it gets old after, oh, the first week. Anyway, off to P-town for a Navigators retreat. The Navigators is Christian group on campus. Woot woot. We're going to do a service project, chill in Downtown (maybe swing by Powell's bookstore? You don't have to say it, I can sense how jealous you are), and then go to Sunday services at Imago Dei. That means Vision of God in Latin. How cool is that? It's a very proactive church. They're really active in community service non-profits. It's fun stuff.

4. It rained this morning and I was sad. It has been sunny and bee-YOU-tee-full for the last three days and I'm just soaking up the sun. I hate the gray. Blech. Sunshine all the way. You would think after twenty-and-a-half-years of living in Oregon (and thus perpetual rain for six months out of the year) I would be used to it. But no. I think it has made me hate it all the more. So when I woke up this morning and saw white skies and drizzle, I was very not happy. But then sunshine broke through in the afternoon and it was happiness again! Keep it up, Mother Nature.

5. After viewing photos of the Nor'Easter online, between blizzards, pumping my own gas (which I have never done in my life) and paying sales tax (which I only do if I'm on vacation and only if it's for something essential like food), I'm fairly certain if I ever do move to the East Coast I will just stay inside my house and never leave. I'll just send my minions out for groceries, I'll do all my free-lance work from home (my husband can take of that little insurance problem), and I'll just order all my clothes online, when I visit Oregon. I could drive to Delaware, but that would probably require me to fill up my gas tank at least once. Oooh! I could have the minions do it.

6. So, I was interviewed on ChronicBabe a couple of weeks ago and I never posted the link to the article. So here you go. I was also interviewed on Dear Janis, but that interview never got linked or saved or something, so it's not on the website. But I was indeed interviewed. I just don't have any proof. Hm. Oh well, if I'm ever interviewed again and if it is every posted on the internet, I will make sure to let you know.

7. My blood sugar is outrageously high right now (it's a three-digit-number than begins with the number 4) and I just ate a bag of popcorn. Mmmmm. And surprisingly, I'm feeling pretty groovy right now. Popcorn makes me happy.

Love & Happiness!!

And popcorn.

11 Comments:

At February 14, 2006 4:32 AM , Blogger Johnboy said...

groovy...lol

Remind me to tell you of my popcorn story sometime, A.B. It's a tale of love and pain. ;-)

 
At February 14, 2006 10:40 AM , Blogger Rachel Segall said...

What a day!

 
At February 14, 2006 11:07 AM , Blogger Major Bedhead said...

Powell's, that cool bakery AND sunshine??! I scowl in your general direction.

We don't have tax on clothes or food in Massachusetts and we do have gas stations that will pump the gas for you. And the sunny days make the wintery ones worthwhile.

 
At February 14, 2006 12:36 PM , Blogger If not a mother... said...

mmm. Powell's.

I thought NJ also had the full-service gas pumps...

 
At February 14, 2006 5:01 PM , Blogger Allison said...

Julia-

You'll just have to come to Oregon, won't you? We can chill at Powell's and I'll bring up some Sweet Life from Eugene.

Chocolate and books - honestly, is there anything better?

 
At February 14, 2006 9:37 PM , Blogger Allison said...

Rebecca,

Okay, so it looks like my options are Masschusetts and New Jersey. Hm. Tough choice. Boston or Trenton? Decisions, decisions. Boston is pricey but New Jersey, well, it's New Jersey.

Ooo, I could move to Philly and just buy my gas in New Jersey and I hear Delaware doesn't have sales tax. Problem solved!

 
At February 15, 2006 6:34 AM , Blogger Major Bedhead said...

Chocolate, books, red wine and coffee. That's what I need in life. Maybe the beach, but if I had those four things, I'd be pretty freakin' happy.

And dood. Boston or New Jersey??! I wouldn't have thought there was even a debate over that one. One had Paul Revere, the North End, history, culture, lobstah and clam chowdah. The other has...a turnpike. ;)

 
At February 15, 2006 10:35 AM , Blogger Allison said...

Well, now you see how important not pumping my own gas is.


I'm just kidding, by the way. I don't think fame and fortune could convince me to move to New Jersey.

 
At February 15, 2006 11:06 PM , Blogger Allison said...

Rebecca-

Oregon IS really cool. Because of the aforementioned reasons plus it's really pretty, we have nice people and it smells good.

If you ever come for a visit, let me know. I may not always be around (I could be in Boston), but I can give you directions to Powell's Bookstore from the airport. Because if you don't go to Powell's, you haven't experienced Oregon.

 
At February 19, 2006 5:14 PM , Blogger HVS said...

7 would also be nice, in mmol/l.(126 mg/dl, I think..)
Portland sounds cool.
(cooler then getting dumped in snow)

 
At February 19, 2006 10:30 PM , Blogger Allison said...

Yeah, I think 7 in mg/dl might be cause for alarm...

Portland is awesome. Everyone should come to Portland. But then everyone should leave. Traffic is bad enough as it is.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home