Lemonade Life

Monday, January 23, 2006

Let the Countdown Begin!

This Friday is my 12th anniversary. In honor of that momentous occasion (ok, really I'm just looking for another excuse to draw attention to myself...), I'm doing a week-long Life In Review series where hopefully you'll get to know me even better (you don't have to say it, I can sense the excitement from here). I'm doing four Allison's Top 12 lists, and then a special post on Friday. Wheee! I'm excited. Are you excited?

My Top 12 Reasons Why I Don't Always Mind Having Diabetes

12. I laugh when people complain about the flu shot.

11. At school, I can say I'm "high" and not get in trouble. Come on, who didn't like casually mentioning you were "high" last night in front of all your friends and your teacher. If nothing else, it just sounds funny. Go on, say it. In public. I dare ya.

10. "Legitimate" reasons for skipping gym class. Not that I ever did such a thing...

9. I can lecture people about why the Atkin's Diet is a crock and people believe me. Honestly, don't you just want to take the people who say "Carbs are eeee-velle!" and just smack them?

8. Diabetes camp is better than non-diabetes camp. Trust me, I've been to both. Diabetes camps have a much stronger sense of comradery and there is a bond between children with diabetes that just never fails to amaze me.

7. I can use big words like "ketoacidosis" and "hyperglycemia" and sound smarter than I really am. I bet you'd never guess that I flunked 10th grade and actually have an IQ of 79.

6. The Never-Ending Guess Game as to what my pump is. Best guess: Walkie-talkie. Runners up include: pager, cell phone and MP3 player. I wish! It's funny. People amuse me greatly.

5. Free stuff! Granted, it's all diabetes-related, but I've never paid for a glucose meter, publishing companies send me copies of diabetes books (so far I've received Think Like a Pancreas, Conquering Diabetes, and Yes I Can! Yes You Can!) and the Australian rock band Brother sent me their CD Urban Cave (which is uber cool).

4. Having an Insta-Friend when you meet someone else with diabetes. It's like that saying "A Stranger is a Friend you haven't met yet." A "Stranger with Diabetes is a Best Friend you haven't met yet." I have met so many awesome people over the years with diabetes. And without diabetes (::waves to the Parents::). I think Diabetes does something to the people it affects to make them cooler. Or maybe it's just me.

3. I can talk about myself for long periods of time without seeming self-absorbed. I mean, you're reading this blog, aren't you? And you see that Wall of Shameless Self-Promotion over there? Apparently people actually like listening to me. Seems I'm "educational." I spend literally hours and hours a week talking about my life experiences and what I think about anything and everything and somehow, people are still talking to me. Amazing.

2. I'm inspirational for just being me. I didn't ask to become a diabetic/PWD. I didn't wake up one morning and decide to have a chronic illness to prove to the world how mature/smart/caring of a person I am. I'm just living my life, one day at a time, trying to make the best out of the situations I'm given. Sometimes I'm a royal mess. Sometimes I kick butt. But we all do it. In our own special way. I think the key to being inspiring is not to try to be Unique or Wonderful, but just to Be. Not to go all Oprah on you, but I think as long as you try to Live Your Best Life, everything else will take care of itself.

And the number 1 reason why I don't always mind having diabetes is...

1. I'm saving the world. I mean, come on...

13 Comments:

At January 23, 2006 7:40 AM , Blogger Vivian said...

Allison
What a great idea! I can not wait to read the next installment, you are soooo cool.=) Daniel's one year is on Thursday, you are almost anniversary partners.=)
Love ya,
Vivian

 
At January 23, 2006 9:35 AM , Blogger Major Bedhead said...

Heh. I don't think I could come up with two top 12 lists about myself, nevermind five. I'm not that interesting.


I'm totally with you on the Atkins thing. My father was doing that for years and I would go absolutely ballistic on him, especially when he'd tell me how dark the pee strips got. *shud-d-d-d-d-d-er* Ketones are bad, m'kay?

 
At January 23, 2006 10:32 AM , Blogger Allison said...

Vivian: Go January anniversaries! Woohoo!

Julia: I always cringe when I go to a low-carb store and see anything with the word Keto- on it. Like Keto-Chips, Keto-Bread. Ugh. I've associated Ketones with Death for the past 12 years, PLEASE don't put that on something you want me to buy!

 
At January 23, 2006 11:50 AM , Blogger Keith said...

Allison--
Great post, I'm looking forward to the others!

 
At January 23, 2006 1:44 PM , Blogger If not a mother... said...

ack, my pet peeve conversation:

ohhh. you have diabetes. how did you lose the weight, Atkins?

um, no. more like healthy carb choices and exercise.

 
At January 23, 2006 3:13 PM , Blogger HVS said...

Happy D-day, Allison!
Ways to celebrate:
1. Get drunk (I didn't REALLY say that, nevvamind..)
2. Reminince on how time flies, when you're having fun.
3. Sell your first glucose meter on Ebay, as an antique.
Great list- lovin' the humor.
-Heidi

 
At January 23, 2006 3:38 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is a great idea!

I have to admit I don't celebrate an anniversary, because I don't know exactly when it is. My parents claim they don't know either! Sometime in April, is all I get.

I totally agree about the Atkins diet. My pet hate is people who go on about carbs causing "blood sugar swings". Hello? I'll, sorry we'll, show them what a blood sugar swing is when crashing from 18mmol to 3!

 
At January 23, 2006 4:40 PM , Blogger Allison said...

Heidi: Great suggestion with Number Three. I might just do that one of these days! I think I still have my One Touch II at my parent's... But I don't know if I could part with it. All the memories!

Caro: The Adkin's one really resonates with people! I think that's so funny. Adkin's sucks, that's all I have to say.

 
At January 23, 2006 6:42 PM , Blogger Johnboy said...

damn, girl...you crack me up! i had no idea you were THIS funny. keep it up...i think i read somewhere that humor leads to better bg control...yeah, that's the ticket!!!

 
At January 23, 2006 7:02 PM , Blogger Kassie said...

excellent!

 
At January 23, 2006 8:01 PM , Blogger Bryan said...

Yes save us from that huge meterite. or not. we got nukes.

 
At January 23, 2006 10:07 PM , Blogger Allison said...

I had so much fun writing this entry, you have no idea!

It's sad, too, I think, because I laugh about my diabetes a lot. Random things happen and I laugh. I don't cry, I don't complain, I don't moan. It's like "Haha, would you look at that!" I need to share that with you all more often.

More funnies coming tomorrow!

 
At August 21, 2007 10:35 PM , Blogger Charlie'sMommy said...

Hi Allison! I hope you still monitor this site. I would love to touch bases with you. I admire your constant dedication to helping others with living with diabetes and I would love to help out any way I can. You made my tenure working at JDRF enjoyable and I would love my son, Charlie, to meet a strong and courage lady. Contact me at mrsbigjrice_63@yahoo.com

Congratulations on being who you are and excelling at it!!!

Susie

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home