Lemonade Life

Saturday, January 14, 2006

The Sweet Life

Tonight, Tina, a girl who has just moved into The House, and I paid a visit to Sweet Life, a popular and delicious bakery a couple miles away. Tina has been on a strick "Chocolate Only Every Four Days" diet and today was her day to splurge. I told her about Sweet Life and the rows of pastries: eclairs, creme brule, lemon bars, brownies, cookies and tarlets. The slices and whole cakes of tiramisu, chocolate silks, berry pies and cheesecake.

If there is a Heaven on Earth, this is it (providing your insulin pump is fully locked and loaded with enough insulin to kill a large horse).

Tina and I gorged on Mixed Berry Cheesecake and Chocolate Turtle Pave (chocolate cake mixed with walnuts and topped with caramel syrup). I bolused 12.8 units - enough to cover 90 carbs. It's been almost an hour and I've clocked in at 174 (although we all know that's debatable). Not too bad, but I'm gonna keep an eye out.

Driving home, I could feel the cake sitting like a rock in my stomach. If I jumped in a lake, I would plummeted straight to the bottom.

"Ugh. I think I can actually feel my blood sugar rising," I joked.

Tina turned to me, concerned. "Oh yeah, was this okay?"

"It's fine," I replied. "I just took a ton of insulin. It'll be okay." She nodded, and there was a brief pause.

"If we're ever together and something should happen, what should I do?" Tina asked.

This question floored me. I was at a loss for words. I honestly could not believe someone had ASKED what they should do to help me with my diabetes. I explained to her how a low works and that if I couldn't get the soda or juice myself, that she would need to do it for me.

"Would it be helpful if I kept something in my car?" she asked. Again, the words vanished from my head.

"Uh, yeah, that would great," I replied. I explained that usually I have something with me or if we are at the mall we can just get something from the food court. But to have something in the car in case we are too far away from a 7-11 or restaurant and I am too low to wait is great.

Having a friend who actually gives a damn, even better.

11 Comments:

At January 14, 2006 10:21 PM , Blogger Vivian said...

That is so awesome!! She sounds like a keeper. It is very reassuring to know there are still some people out there that care about others. Thanks for posting this.
Congratulations on the pig out but now you have made me hungry for something really rich. Thanks.=)

 
At January 14, 2006 10:32 PM , Blogger Johnboy said...

What a great friend you have. Sometimes you just have to do stuff like that! :)

 
At January 15, 2006 11:11 AM , Blogger If not a mother... said...

wow. that's great.

Even though one of my best friends in elementary school was type 1, I "avoided" any questions with my husband when I first met him. He seemed to take care of everything so well himself and did not seem to want to talk about it much. I think the first conversation was prompted by a dinner out with his parents (2nd meeting with them for me) - almost a year after we started dating.

 
At January 16, 2006 8:12 AM , Blogger Major Bedhead said...

She definitely sounds like a great person. It's fantastic that she's taking an interest in your d and wanting to be helpful.

And WHERE is this bakery, exactly? With maps and diagrams, please.

 
At January 16, 2006 8:25 AM , Blogger mdmpls said...

Yeah, I want directions to that same bakery too!

It is so great when those people around you take an interest, and are willing to help you. I know it always meant the world to me when my friends wanted to learn more and help me! It made my life so much easier!

Maridee

 
At January 16, 2006 1:25 PM , Blogger Allison said...

Well, first book to a flight to the Eugene airport. That's airport code EUG...

To torture you even more:
http://www.sweetlifedesserts.com/

 
At January 16, 2006 1:40 PM , Blogger Jamie said...

Aww - she sounds like a sweetie. How refreshing to have someone ask those questions! She sounds like a terrific friend :)

(that bakery sounds so good!)

 
At January 16, 2006 8:00 PM , Blogger Kerri. said...

It's pivotal to me to have relationships that understand the intricasies of diabetes. It makes it all so much easier.

Hold on to your new friend.

 
At January 17, 2006 8:29 AM , Blogger bethany said...

hey - so can you tell me some more about symlin? like when you take it, how it works while, do you think it helps to loose weight, do you think it really helps your bs, how it works since you're also on the pump, and well pretty much anything else :-( sorry I'm just really interested! <3 thanks darlin'

 
At January 19, 2006 6:59 AM , Blogger Shannon said...

What a fantastic friend! To be thoughtful enough to ask and then to be thoughtful enough to be proactive is a real treasure of a friend.

 
At February 09, 2007 8:33 PM , Blogger Scott K. Johnson said...

Very cool when you get some unexpected support and concern.

Sounds like she's a winner!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home