Lemonade Life

Friday, April 20, 2007

George Simmons is worth twenty-one cents

On Sunday, after the conference, I went up to Oceanside to meet a certain wacky gentleman from the literal O.C. for dinner... and I believe I can claim to be the envy of all the O.C. when I say that I had dinner with the one, the only Mr. G-Money Simmons.

And folks, I have to tell you the truth.

He's funnier in person.

I don't think I have ever laughed so much in my entire life.

We talked about how the only way to lose weight is to choose foods you hate to eat. We talked about our ethnic backgrounds. We talked about spicy foods. We went to my favorite restaurant in Oceanside and we freaked out our waitress on more than one occasion (I swear, my new favorite thing to do is try to explain what "water ice" is and see people's expressions - classic).

I also discovered that George is worth twenty-one cents. Our waitress decided to give George back four dollars, even though the change was supposed to be $3.79. I concluded that George was obviously only worth 21 cents.

We drove around aimlessly in Escondido. I pronounced my last name for him so now he is one of five people in the world who can say it right (fyi: it does not rhyme with glass. Short "a" sound. British-ish).

He told me he doesn't like Cold Stones. We cussed a lot (Julia, I think you'd be proud).

He told me he doesn't like the beach. So naturally, that's where I insisted we go. Kerri, I don't understand it either. He told me he kept seeing signs for the beach, which I never saw, so I decided that he was going to drive to alley and murder me and steal my suitcase and post photographs of what kind of toothpaste I use (Aquafresh, if you were wondering). I tried to escape from the car but we got to the beach before I was successful.

This is George, not going onto the beach but staying firmly planted on the sidewalk.


This is us, schmucking it up for the camera.


A beautiful view of the Pacific Ocean.



Afterwards, George dropped me off at my grandma's and off he went... with my camera that I left in the front seat of his car. Needless to say I was on the phone with him the next morning.

So ends my 13th meeting with a member of the Diabetes O.C. Scott mentioned in George's comments that I was in the lead with meeting people from the O.C., which I'm not sure is even true. I know Kerri has met a lot of D-bloggers, but I'm not sure how many. In order of appearance, I have:

Jon Schlaman, Amy Tenderich, Lori Rode, BetterCell, Julia, Kate, Art-Sweet, Scott Strumello, Kerri Morrone, Gina Capone, Sean Hughes, George Simmons.

Edit: Scott posted his list and it made me realize that I left out a couple people. I have also met Kelly Close from Close Concerns and Tara Dairman from Diabetes Self-Management. I didn't really think of them as a bloggers, more as just writers. I met Amberthyme last weekend, although because I didn't know it was her, I'm not counting it as a real meeting. So I guess that brings me to 15 OC'ers.

As for the Minnesota trip that was also mentioned on George's blog, mostly it's just an overwhelming desire at this point. I know we'll eventually get to Minnesota, but right now, my finances need to recover from these two little escapades. And I need to find a job. But I'll keep you posted. Just like I do with everything else.

11 Comments:

At April 21, 2007 12:28 AM , Blogger Scott K. Johnson said...

Very cool.

I just can't wait to meet some OC bloggers in real life too.

I got such a kick out of G-Money planting himself on the sidewalk and not even stepping one single toe into the sand! That's just funnier than hell!!

 
At April 21, 2007 12:58 AM , Blogger George said...

LMAO! That picture is awesome! I had so much fun too. I forgot about the "Beach" signs! LOL That was flipping funny!

 
At April 21, 2007 7:14 AM , Blogger Penny Ratzlaff said...

I'm with Scott. I want to meet all of you guys.

We really need to have an OC bash, but the question is where?

Um, North Carolina sounds good to me:-)

George sounds just as cool in person as he conveys on his blog.

Lucky you.

 
At April 21, 2007 8:08 AM , Blogger Amberthyme said...

Meeting all of you sounds like so much fun.
Allison, we may have met at the confrence after all - well sort of anyway. While I was catching up on your posts (I've been hit and miss on the blog scene for a bit) I noticed your jellybean pump skin. Did you have a friend that was puking her guts out all of Saturday night? Her first real meal was lunch and she was sitting next to two ladies and a little girl with fake puppies? If that was you then I'm the one that asked about the jellybean skin I thought it was m&m's at first. Maybe it wasn't you? But how many people out there are untethered from their jellybean pumps?

 
At April 21, 2007 10:31 AM , Blogger Allison said...

Aw, that was you and I didn't even know it! Yes, it was me and my jellybean case. I should have mentioned the OC or something. I mentioned it to like a dozen people at the conference... that would have helped so much! Well, we'll just have to really meet at another conference so I can properly meet you and your family. I'm glad you enjoyed the conference though! I think everyone should go to at least one CWD conference - preferably more!

 
At April 21, 2007 3:12 PM , Blogger Scott S said...

Kerri has indeed met many of us, too, so I don't know who's met the most, but it might be nice to have a gathering someplace, maybe only for a long weekend. The challenge is planning this stuff! But perhaps we can do regional meets, and open the invitation to everyone. Just thinking out loud here!

 
At April 21, 2007 3:18 PM , Blogger Allison said...

I would love to do a big OC group thing... it seems reasonable to go to the East Coast because that's where the vast majority of us live... not everyone, but if given enough notice, people might be able to save.

Part of me just wants to usurp a CWD Orlando conference because at least that's already planned!

If anyone else has any ideas, feel free to send me an email!

 
At April 24, 2007 12:41 PM , Blogger Val said...

You forgot me! ; )

 
At April 24, 2007 2:36 PM , Blogger Allison said...

I forgot Wendy too!

Crap.

I am a horrible person.

::hangs head::

 
At April 29, 2007 1:03 PM , Blogger Karen said...

you forgot me too. :P

 
At April 29, 2007 2:54 PM , Blogger Allison said...

Karen,

I didn't forget you, I just wasn't counting you as being a part of the O.C. group... you're in my IDF group! You don't have diabetes so I wasn't thinking of you being a part of the O.C... But I guess it's true that Sweet Resolutions is in the O.C. under Diabetes News...

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home