Lemonade Life

Monday, August 08, 2005

Alrighty then! An actual update!

Sorry I've been so AWOL. I went to Portland, Oregon this weekend (my hometown) for my 20th birthday. I was so busy trying to see all of my friends and family, I didn't have much time to spend on the computer other than just checking email (if I didn't check every day, I would never be able to get through all of it...).

On Thursday I drove up, but due to a wreck a mere 25 miles from my house (!), it took me 2 1/2 hours instead of the usual hour and twenty minutes. I did take the detour though... me and everyone's mother.

I spent most of the weekend hanging out with friends, which was fun. My parents arrived back from New Mexico on the 6th, my birthday. We went into downtown Portland for Thai and shopping. I love new clothes! Especially when I don't have to pay for them!

Sadly, I had to do my overnight basal rate check that night. Waking up every 3 hours is not my idea of a restful nights sleep. I was all cranky by Sunday night, which was unfortunate considering my friends where I currently live were having a party. On top of that, at my 2am check I ran out of strips, so at 5am, I had to get up, go downstairs, put on shoes, grab car keys, stagger out to the car, get the other box of test strips out of the car, go back inside, open and the close the door without waking anyone up, stagger upstairs and test. Now, granted all of that only took about 5 1/2 minutes, but it felt like an hour in my sleepy haze. Next time: remember to have enough strips! Oh, and my blood sugar was 309, so instead of just flopping into bed, I had to high bolus and go to the bathroom. Let's just say I was not a happy camper.

On a happier note, Friday the 5th was the Oregon JDRF chapter's Walk to Cure Diabetes kickoff. This year's theme is WILD FOR THE CURE! I drove to the Oregon Zoo for the event, which was held in the same ballroom as my senior prom. The decorations were all animal themed- include animal printed hankerchiefs and animal shaped clappers. Very festive.

My goal this year is to raise a whopping $2,000. That is my age in $100s. Now, granted, I've never raised more than $500 in a single year, but this year I'm kind of hoping to raise more money that. Not sure how, but I'm sure I'll be able to do it. I've started a JDRF Walk website, so you can make online donations: http://walk.jdrf.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=extranet.personalpage&confirmID=86082504.

It would be really awesome if you could donate $1, $5 or $10...

Anyway, I better run!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home