Lemonade Life

Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Thank God for the Internet

The Plague that started last Thursday as a 101.7 degree fever, followed by a "rock-swallowing" kind of sore throats has now morphed into laryngitis.

I sound like a squeaky, prepubescent teenage boy who smokes.

I just can't win, can I?

Thank God my role as O.C. Director and Diabetes Teen Queen doesn't require me to actually talk to anyone. Otherwise I'd never get anything done!

Though there is some good news it seems. My blood sugars are finally taking a turn away from the Stratosphere and coming back down into the range. I actually went low this morning and was excited about it. I don't think I had ever been so happy to be unable to walk straight.

I really hope I'm better by this weekend. I mean, honestly, to be sick on your 21st birthday has to be the world's cruelest joke. Lucky for me, I'm not having my birthday party on my birthday. The actual celebration is the following weekend, on the 12th. The plan (as of right now, though considering this last week, it may change...) is that my friends and I are going to the Bite of Oregon, which is a wine/beer/food/music festival on the Waterfront in Downtown Portland. Snow Patrol is going to be there! I'm so excited!

I should be healthy by the 12th, don't you think?

My blog has been awfully quiet lately, so I'll pose a question to get some activity. What did you do for your 21st birthday? (Please try to keep it somewhat appropriate, this is supposed to be a family-friendly blog :-).)

9 Comments:

At August 02, 2006 4:31 PM , Blogger George said...

I was in a local VFW with a few friends and at midnight I ordered a shot of tequila. What was lame was the bartender did not even card me! I told him, "dude, I have been waiting a long time to get carded!" It was not that great of a night.

 
At August 02, 2006 5:50 PM , Blogger Vivian said...

Not much, I was pregnant with Taylor on my 21st.

 
At August 03, 2006 6:35 AM , Blogger Heidi said...

I can't remember if I did anything special on my 21st birthday. It is not THE birthday to celebrate here in Denmark, though. That would your 18th birthday. Mine was at the first day of second year high school, so I got to celebrate it by bringing cake to my class mates - and a ton of new books with and evil schedule for the upcoming year to take home as "presents" ;-) (I had a small party with friends and family the weekend before, which was very nice).

 
At August 03, 2006 8:41 AM , Blogger Major Bedhead said...

I went out with my friend Kim, in her boyfriend's shiny new gold Fiero (yeah, yeah, I'm old, shaddup). I had no idea what I was supposed to be drinking, so I had a little of this and a little of that and had a huge headache the next morning. It was a bit of a bust.

 
At August 03, 2006 12:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

The big milestone in the UK is really 18 - than is when you can drink, vote and you legally become an adult. 21 is still seen as a pretty major birthday though, and I think there may be something historical in that.

I took over a chunk of a great Mexican bar and restaurant in Covent Garden in London with a big group of friends, and definitely had one too many tequilas! The weekend immediately after my birthday I went with my parents and long-term boyfriend to The Ivy which was very cool.

I was given a diamond necklace and earrings as keepsake gifts. The worst gift came a week later when the diagnosis of my epilepsy was confirmed.

Hope you get better soon!

 
At August 03, 2006 12:39 PM , Blogger Kelsey said...

It was my junior year in college, my best friend and roommate woke me up at midnight by banging on pots and pans. She made me take a shot of tequila! What a pal :)

That night, we celebrated my 21st and my friend Christina's too. We're born on the same day! We went to a comedy club in San Francisco... it was really fun!

 
At August 03, 2006 2:52 PM , Blogger Johnboy said...

Hey, I'm confident you will feel better on the 12th!

I honestly cannot remember exactly what I did on BD 21. It wasn't as big a deal because I was already legal by then since I'm as old as dirt. ;-)

 
At August 06, 2006 11:52 AM , Blogger HVS said...

I went to Food Lion (wildly exciting,right?) + bought some alcohol(I didn't drink it right then though, given that I had a gastro bug) + the cashier never even blinked.It was somewhat dissapointing,(that she didn't act like I wasn't legit) but at least I completed the coming-of-age ritual.Beyond that, it was a typical b'day.

 
At August 06, 2006 12:32 PM , Blogger If not a mother... said...

My bloglines aren't showing your new entries. grr.

I went out with my friends, first to our favorite bar (where I had been served underage...shhh), then to this sports bar that had the best Wednesday night drink specials. I was forced to sing karaoke towards the end of the night. Michael Jackson's "Beat it". Yep. I was wasted.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home