Lemonade Life

Monday, March 05, 2007

So There's This Lady In Portland...

And this lady's name is Lori.

Lori and I have been chatting on Gmail for a few weeks now and when I told her I was going up to Portland (for a second weekend in a row - gah) for a friend's birthday, we agreed that it was about time we finally meet. Seeing as how I had lived in Portland for six months last year and we never got around to having dinner, I personally felt a little silly having waited to so long. March is the month for meeting people (what with OCapalooza coming in three weeks, and a visit to San Diego will yield a dinner with George, and hopefully Kelsey, mid-April), so it seemed like perfect timing.

We made plans to hit up my favorite restaurant in all of Portland, Rock Bottom, at 5 o'clock on Saturday. The rendez-vous started off slightly after 5 (after going on a mad search to find a Walgreen or Rite Aid so I could buy AAA batteries for my pump) in a restaurant that was surprisingly crowded considering it was so early.

Lori and her husband, Dr. Parts (that's not his real name, FYI), and I had way too much food for 3 diabetics, including an appetizer (humongous "titan toothpicks" - chicken, Jack cheese and peppers wrapped in fried), entrees and splitting two desserts (chocolate raspberry brownie and apple cobbler - which we didn't finish, in our defense). I had my "usual" - strawberry marga-jito (it was the first drink I had at the restaurant when we went there for my birthday). My blood sugar spiked, and the alcohol probably stabilized my blood sugar at an even 260 for the entire night. Note to self: Be one with the square bolus and temp basal.

Conversation included: my impending graduation (no, I still don't know what I'm doing), the physiological differences between type 2 and type 1 diabetes, the differences in attitudes towards health in people with type 1 and type 2 diabetes, reasons why Cheating Destiny is the most awesomest book ever, type 2 diabetics going on insulin and testing more often, why Eugene is boring, and Lori wanting to adopt George (you can't make this stuff up).

And here we are, two diabetics hyped up on more sugar than the body can handle:


7 Comments:

At March 06, 2007 8:25 AM , Blogger Christine said...

Aww...that's so cool that you two met! Sounds like you had a good time!

 
At March 06, 2007 8:28 AM , Blogger Kelsey said...

We love Rock Bottom too! There's one in downtown San Diego (and La Jolla for that matter). We've become regulars at the downtown location since it's a quick 12 minute walk from our apartment.

Yummy Titan toothpicks! :)

 
At March 06, 2007 9:50 AM , Blogger Lori Rode said...

It's all true. She's not making this stuff up. Instead of adopting George, I might have to knit him something.

 
At March 06, 2007 10:47 AM , Blogger Lori Rode said...

And...next time, at Rock Bottom, the correct ratio of desserts to diabetics is 1 to 3, not 2 to 3. (The dessert portions were huge!)

 
At March 06, 2007 5:05 PM , Blogger Minnesota Nice said...

What a nice picture of you both - it really captures the spirit of the evening.

 
At March 06, 2007 7:30 PM , Blogger Scott K. Johnson said...

Sounds like a really great time! You two both look like it was a lot of fun. I bet it was just a hoot!!

I think you should knit G-Money a stocking cap, or maybe ear-warmers? Oh! Wait! How about some giant socks for his big ass feet?! :-)

hehehehe...

(can't wait for George to see this!!!)

See - I can't think of a single diabetic joke, but you present me with the right opportunity to poke some fun at George, and it's all good.

 
At March 09, 2007 3:55 PM , Blogger George said...

I would love anything that you knit and you could totally adopt me. I am pretty sure my mom is done with me!

I love that pic of you two and I CANNOT WAIT to do dinner!

I hope kelsey can come too.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home