Lemonade Life

Tuesday, June 05, 2007

My Life in Boxes

Everything I own is either in boxes or on the floor. I have spent the last week or so sorting through old notebooks, school papers, clothes, and books trying to figure out what was worth hauling to the other side of the country and what just needed to be hauled out permanently.

I sorted through my library and ended up with two paper bags and a cardboard box full of books. I went to the Powell's warehouse in Northwest Portland on Saturday and made $52, which I then promptly spent on food, a movie ticket to Spiderman 3 and a tank of gas. I still have another bag of books that I missed, so it looks like I will be heading back to one of the many Powell's outlets in Portland.

I think out of everything there is in Portland, I am going to miss Powell's Bookstore the most. Probably in the entire state...

I have definitely been making sure to visit everything I love about Oregon during my last few weeks here. That makes it sound like I'm dying, but honestly, I don't know when I'm coming back. My parents were already talking about coming out to New York for Christmas, and I don't think there's much reason to fly across the country for Thanksgiving. Too much time in a plane for such a short time on the ground.

This past weekend I was in Portland for our family portraits, which turned out well. Then while I waited for the staff at Powell's to decide which books they wanted, drove across one of Portland's twelve bridges to St. John, which is north north Portland. Walked around. Went low. Had a mango juice from Mexico. Mmm, tasty mangos.

I attended my last church service in Portland on Sunday. Watched a television show about morbidly obese people with my mother and then we went to Starbucks.

I have six days left in Eugene. I probably will never ever come back. There is a lot that I still haven't done here, but I am very glad to be leaving. I did not have the greatest college experience someone could have, but I did learn a lot about myself and other people, so I suppose that's the only thing anyone can really ask for.

2 Comments:

At June 05, 2007 11:26 AM , Blogger LORI said...

I know just how you feel right now, at least when it comes to your "life in boxes". Although I only moved 5 blocks away instead of across the entire country, everything I own is currently in boxes. It's incredibly annoying, to say the least.

Good luck with your move, Allison. And enjoy your time left in Oregon. :)

 
At June 05, 2007 7:50 PM , Blogger Major Bedhead said...

There's a fabulous bookstore in NYC called The Strand. It's not a patch on Powell's, from what I've heard of that place, but it's a great place, too.

It's weird leaving your home town. You feel pulled in two directions, neither of which is totally comfortable.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home